Friday, January 17, 2014

Post #1

I have honestly heard nothing about EDM310 except for what I read on ratemyprofessor.com. I do not usually trust comments put on the website because it is so easy to post negative feedback that may not necessarily be true, especially if a student received a poor grade or disagreed with a professor on a personal level. Being relatively new in the College of Education, I did not know anyone who had already taken the course.

The only fear I have of EDM310 is fear of the unknown. I know I am capable of doing well if I work hard, but it is frightening going into a class having no idea what it is about. I am concerned because I don't consider myself to be tech-savvy and I tend to be timid with things I do not understand. However, since this is a required class, I cannot drop it just because I get scared of not succeeding.

EDM310 is very different from any course I've ever taken. I have never worked with blogs or really any computer programs in an education setting except for a basic computer skills class. Another major difference is the amount of work and time this class will require. I am not the world's best student when it comes to studying and I have, for the most part, been able to coast through school my entire life. From what I can tell, this class will be more about actually learning and retaining skills that I will use in my career unlike previous courses such as Biology.

The most difficult thing about EDM310 for me personally will be time management. In the past I have been a procrastinator and a master of "last minute." I knew as soon as I began to read the syllabus that this would be the course to change my evil ways. I understand that I really will not be able to do these projects last minute and that this class will take a lot more time than I have previously allocated to homework. The only way for me to address this issue is to stay ahead on my assignments and not allow myself to get behind or even "cut it close." I tend to use work as an excuse, so I need to manage my work and personal schedule around this class as if it were my main source of income. It will definitely take some adjusting but I feel confident that I will be successful.

I foresee having many technical questions throughout the semester. I plan on taking advantage of the lab times to get help as well as working with other students. I am really enjoying writing blog posts so far and I am looking forward to seeing what I can do in EDM310.
Sign of Change

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same as you.. I have never done blogs before, so that kind of scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on what you are saying, especially about Rate My Professor. Overall I find it a good site, but there are far too many things that could go wrong with following another student's advice blindly. I think we will be fine in this course as long as we stay focused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You understand! You cannot procrastinate in EDM310.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also consider myself to not be "tech-savvy" and coming into EDM310, which I heard had a lot do do with blogs and networking really concerned me. I as well have trouble with managing my time and putting things off till the last minute but I now see that EDM310 is not the class to do that in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your feelings on the class sounded almost identical to mine. I do not usually let others opinions of professors effect how I feel going into a new class. However, while I really have come to enjoy Dr. Strange for his unique personality, I too am freaking out just a bit about what is expected of me for this class. I am not nearly as "tech-savy" as I had imagined and I too am a serious procrastinator! Like you, I have usually been able to coast through school easily enough and be able to perform for class with out putting in too much work. However, after two weeks of being in EDM 310 I think I may have found out how it is a such a different type of class from others. I believe that it is a class where we learn to do instead of learning about things. As an English Major, I can compare it to essay writing: I have written so many I can say I have acquired it as a skill. This class though, I compare more to learning to play the guitar or some other instrument because it requires not only practice, but it also requires you to master other tools too.So, my own resolve and advice to you is that since this is a required class, think of it as picking up a new hobby or skill. It is hard to do at first, but once you get good and begin to have fun with it the deadlines will be be much less of an issue.

    ReplyDelete