Thursday, January 16, 2014

Practice Post

My name is Jessica Joanne Garris and I will be twenty years old on January 23. I have lived in Mobile my whole life. I lived in the same house for eighteen years, but I am currently living in an apartment with one of my best friends from high school. I graduated from Baker in 2012 and I was an Azalea Trail Maid. I am now a Crewmate for the USS Alabama. My favorite hobbies are riding horses and being at the beach. I came to USA because I am very family-oriented and I did not want to move far away from my home. I am a Secondary Education/English major.

My family is the most important thing in my life. My brother, Ben, is thirteen years old and plays football. Being seven years apart, we tried to kill each other most of the time when we were younger; now that only happens occasionally. I am closer to my mom than I am to anyone. She is always right about everything and she knows me inside and out. My daddy is the strongest, most hard-working man I have ever met in my life. He has led our family in a loving way and taught me to be just as stubborn and independent as he is. I am also really close with my grandparents. My grandmother is the best cook in the world and I probably would have starved a long time ago if it were not for her. I'm grateful to have been raised by a wonderful group of people that continue to influence my life every day.

I am going into education because honestly I've known I would be a teacher since I was old enough to be in school. When I started college I convinced myself I wanted to go in the medical field and went pre-physical therapy. I went from that to Professional Health Sciences and from that Radiologic Sciences. The problem was that I hate science. I could not find a passion anywhere in medicine. I worked as a Supplemental Instructor for Statistics this past semester and while working with other students helping them understand a difficult concept, it hit me that I wanted to be helping students understand for the rest of my life. I want to teach in high school because I feel like it is a defining time in students' life. My English teachers in high school had an incredible impact on the person I am today and I want to be that person for other people.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post. I'm glad you chose to do education, I know you will be a great english teacher!

    ReplyDelete