Thursday, April 17, 2014

Post 13

Project based learning and technology are not used as much when teaching English/Language Arts. In high school especially, the focus is on reading and responding to literature in essay form. What are some tools/methods/ideas that could be used to bring technology and projects (other than essays) into an English classroom?
the tech-savvy English classroom


Two very effective projects that were done in EDM310 could be transferred to a high school English class. Creating a book trailer via iMovie and creating a virtual book via iBook Author are two great ideas for mixing up the mundane in a literature based class. Students could create book trailers of their summer reading assignments as opposed to only testing and writing essays about them. Virtual books could be used not only for practice with poetry, grammar, and other technical purposes but also as a sort of community service project-students could be required to create iBooks for younger children.
My favorite education app of all time, EduCreations, could be used in an English classroom to make reviewing conventions a little more interesting. The class could be broken into groups and each group given a lesson on conventions to teach (commonly confused words, fragments and run-ons, commas, letter writing, etc.). Each group would create their lesson using EduCreations and then teach the class. This would require students to research their topic and make sure they were teaching it write, come up with creative ways to make it interesting, and understand the material well enough to explain it to others. Reviewing conventions is a necessary evil in high school English classrooms, so I may as well take advantage of it as an opportunity to get students engaged and build a friendly, comfortable, team-based environment.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    I enjoyed reading this post and could immediately relate to the movie trailer use in a Literature class since it was also an assignment in EDM510. I wasn't familiar with EduCreations so thank you for including the link. I use "teach-back" in my class of adults and this looks like something I could immediately put to use in my classroom. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more! High school English class was the bane of my existence and I applaud you for wanting to teach that (that's what I'm assuming here). If my teachers had assigned iBook creations instead of summary papers, I probably would have felt differently about the subject as a whole. I love your idea! I've heard of EduCreations before and, you're right, it is an awesome asset to the classroom. Great post! Good luck with finals!

    ReplyDelete